02 February 2011

Easy Scrambled Eggs: with Extra Protein and Omega-3


Sustaining health based eating for life requires 1) a desire to do it, and 2) learning how to change your everyday meals into healthier fare. My belief is that if it gets too complicated, then we-as humans are unlikely to stick with it. With that said, this site will not only give you complex healthy recipes-but also ideas to make your common everyday recipes that much more healthy. I, like many people in the world, like having eggs for breakfast. Eggs are high in protein and provide all the complete amino acids we need. Dr. Jana Klauer in her book How the Rich Get Thin states that, "The egg white is the most concentrated form of protein because its associated fat is contained within the yolk. Because the yolk can be separated from the white, the fat content can easily be avoided. No fat is present in the white of an egg. Egg whites contain all the essential amino acids, and the white is pure protein."
If I'm having one egg, I keep the yolk (knowing that someday I will eventually separate it out). If I have two eggs, it's one whole and the other is just egg whites. Beside just separating the yolk there are other ways for this protein rich source to provide additional health benefits. The first step to purchasing any healthy food source is to make sure it is a clean as possible. I choose eggs from Cage Free chickens, with no added hormones or antibiotics (a topic I will discuss later) who have been fed a non-commercial feed diet. In every cooking endeavor your product (what you're putting into your body) is key to health and taste. An organic brown egg taste completely different from a white non-organic egg. Do a taste test you'll see. The brown organic will taste better.


The way in which we cook things and additional things we add to our food base make all the difference in making one dish healthy and another unhealthy. I stopped cooking my eggs in butter (too much unhealthy saturated fat), and started lightly brushing olive oil to coat my pan instead. Because I always liked my scrambled eggs made with a little milk in them, to be healthier I changed my milk to soy milk or my favorite when I'm not out-plain Greek Yogurt. Products that say like Greek Yogurt are not the same as Greek Yogurt. Real Greek Yogurt will probably cost more than traditional yogurts and will have about 16 grams of protein or more per serving, which is very high.


Finally, to add a little more health punch to my eggs I add ground flaxseed. Flaxseed is high in Omega-3. Omega-3 (commonly found in oily fishes or through Fish Oil supplements) lowers inflammation levels in the body. Inflammation levels are commonly high in American's bodies because of our over consumption of sugar among other things. Chronic inflammation is caused by excessive weight. Chronic inflammation is harmful to the body particularly on the coronary arteries-your heart.

Here is my recipe for a quick easy egg that packs a whopper protein punch and an inflammation reduction.

Easy Scrambled Egg
____________________________________________

1 egg (Cage Free, hormone & antibiotic free, with added Omega-3)
1-2 tsp Olive oil
1 Tbsp plane organic Greek Yogurt
1 1/2 tsp ground Flaxseed

Pour 1-2 tbsp of Olive Oil in a small frying pan. Take a pastry brush or a paper towel a coat Olive Oil throughout the pan. Get a bowl and crack one egg into the bowl and add the Greek Yogurt and Flaxseed. Whisk until fully blended. Turn heat onto Medium. Let pan stand for 2-3 minutes. Pour egg mixture into the pan (it should be warm by now). Scramble. Serve warm. 

-Elle


No comments: