09 February 2011

Spicy Cauliflower Spinach Dip: it's Nothing like Mom's


Superbowl Sunday has come and gone, but my enthusiasm for this cooking ritual lives on. While my husband is excited for the game, I'm always excited to make and eat the snacks. This year, the morning of, I asked him "What would you like to eat for the game tonight?" He wisely replied: "What am I allowed to eat for the game tonight?" I decided among other things Spicy Cauliflower Spinach dip...minus any mayonnaise and easily made vegan.


I have a love hate relationship with Spinach Dip in general. I love the taste of traditional Spinach Dips, but I hate the feeling my stomach gets after I eat it (eat is a generous term, actually the term "gorge" is a better description). Now that I am more conscious about my diet I find it necessary to still eat the same foods I love only in a more vegetarian or vegan like way, plus cutting down on the sodium and sugar inherent in most dishes. 




While the concept of a Spinach Dip without mayo seems may seem foreign and questionably tasteful, it is not. However, my true test as to whether this dish was any good was my husband, who will mince no words or hide feelings about his like or dislike of food. Although he is Silken Tofu adverse, although I don't even think he knows what Silken Tofu is really, he will lovingly try anything I make. Lucky for me, he tried the dip and continued to eat it well into the fourth quarter. I hope you will do the same.


_______________________________________________

Spicy Cauliflower Spinach Dip
adapted from Whole Foods & 101 Cookbooks

1 medium head of Organic Cauliflower
1 jalapeño (2 if you really want to taste the spice, as it get very diluted with 1 jalapeño) 
3 cloves garlic
16 oz Frozen Organic Spinach
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
4 oz Silken Tofu
7 oz shredded Swiss Cheese
2/3 cup Greek Yogurt
Pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Steam spinach and cauliflower in separate pots. Let cauliflower and spinach cool in separate bowls. Place cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Place finely chopped jalapeño and garlic, sea salt, and 4 oz silken tofu in the food processor with the cauliflower. Pulse until entire mixture is smooth. Add spinach and 3 ounces of shredded cheese to contents of food processor. Pulse again until entire mixture is smooth.

In a bowl add the the additional 3 ounces of shredded cheese and Greek yogurt together. With a folk stir contents until throughly combined. 

Place the cauliflower spinach mixture into a round baking dish. Add yogurt and cheese mixture. Stir yogurt and cheese mixture gently and throughly with cauliflower spinach mixture. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of dip, add pepper taste permitting. 

Let dip heat uncovered until cheese is golden brown. Remove and serve.  

-Elle

No comments: