27 March 2011

Sweet Broccoli with Portabella Mushrooms: Kid Friendly


While watching Jamie Oliver's (the Naked Chef) Food Revolution, I was first surprised that so many children had no idea the names of basic vegetables. Secondly, I was amazed that children still don't want to eat their vegetables. When I was young, I once ate only broccoli with cheese (you know, that Kraft Cheddar kind) for dinner three nights in a row (at my request which my parents willingly and I'm sure unwillingly obliged). On the morning of the fourth day, I was told by my father as he was waking me up for school, that I yelled "No more broccoli and cheese!" I don't remember this, but I believe it.

If children don't want to eat their vegetables, then parents have to rethink their vegetable recipes. Here is something you may want to try to get your children's taste buds flowing.



Children LOVE sweet. There is good sweet and bad sweet. Coconut Oil, a good sweet, may do the trick in giving your kids vegetables the kick they need for young "discriminating" tastes. Make sure to not add too much Coconut Oil as it will go from a nice light sweetness to very Coconut tasting.
____________________________________________

Sweet Broccoli with Portabella Mushrooms

2 bunches organic Broccoli
1 package organic sliced Baby Portabella Mushrooms
2 tbsp Coconut Oil (as a solid) (more if necessary for cooking)
Salt
Pepper
Coriander

In a Wok (or Saute pan) place the Coconut Oil and set the pan on medium-low to medium heat. Let the Coconut Oil melt into a liquid. Once the Coconut Oil becomes liquid stir in the two bunches of broccoli florets and the Portabella Mushrooms. Make sure all the food is covered in the oil. Set on medium heat. Stir occasionally. Cook vegetables to desired firmness. Add salt, pepper and coriander to taste. 

Enjoy,
-Elle

No comments: