13 March 2011

Vegan Baking: Must Haves


I'm new to vegan baking. In my effort to eliminate my sugar and animal fat consumption I had to acquaint myself with this new world and forsake my old baking one. After much research, here are some of the fundamentals needed that got me started, and will get you started too. Be warned, this is not a cheap endeavor. However, I look at the price as a short term "loss" for a long term gain...health.

Agave Nectar -sugar Substitute
Coconut Oil-butter Substitute
Apple Sauce-egg Substitute
Garbanzo Bean Flour-Gluten Free and Wheat Flour Substitute
Xanthan Gum-assists in keeping ingredients together (the work usually done by Gluten)
Potato Starch-cornstarch substitute, gives thickness and moisture to baked goods
Vegan Chocolate Chips-chocolate chip substitute (everyone wants to make a chocolate chip something)
Baking Soda
Baking Powder
Vanilla Extract

No comments: