17 April 2011

Blackberry Muffins with Yogurt



Easter will be here next Sunday, and I always like a muffin as part of an Easter brunch. So often through we get caught up in the traditional Blueberry Muffin (even Raspberry Muffins are standard fair). But, in the berry realm I love nothing more than a good Blackberry. Therefore, I thought a Blackberry Muffin may be in order for this coming holiday weekend.
As usual in my current baking repertoire I attempt to steer away from processed sugars and flours, eggs and milk. This is not because I'm adverse to eating these things (well processed sugars and flours I am), but I know now I can have a healthier pastry without the sugar shakes, and the get some nutrition from it.


This recipe is made with Whole Spelt Flour. This flower has a nutty bran taste to it and is dense. So if you want something a bit more light with the germ and the bran removed substitute White Spelt Flour instead. Although both of these flours contain gluten, Spelt Flour is related to Wheat Flour but has a more digestible protein for those suffering from delayed hypersensitivity to wheat.


What I find so often now baking in this new way, is my batters and doughs do not have the same consistency that I'm used to when cooking with processed sugars and flours, eggs and milk. But what I do find is that I get great tasting pastries without the sugar rushes my body is so prone to.


I hope that this recipe and this "new" form of baking becomes a part of your holiday (or just any day repertoire). As we deserve tasty baked goods our bodies can handle.
___________________________________________
Blackberry Muffins with Yogurt

2 1/4 cup whole Spelt Flour (see note above)
2 tbsp organic Apple Sauce
1/2 tbsp Vanilla Extract
3/4 cup Greek Yogurt
1 tbsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Sea Salt
2/3 cup Raw Agave Nectar
1/2 liquid Coconut Oil
1 cup (8 oz) frozen or fresh organic Blackberries
Butter or Earth Balance Butter

If you are using frozen blackberries, let them sit in the refrigerator until thawed (about 4-6 hours).

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a standard 6 cup muffin tin with paper liners (the more colorful the liners the better, I always say).

In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Then heat the coconut oil on low to medium heat until it turns into a liquid stirring constantly. In another bowl whisk together the coconut oil, agave, yogurt, apple sauce, and vanilla extract. Slowly and consistently pour the bowl with the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients mixing the whole time. The finished mixture will appear more like a dough then a liquid batter. Add the blackberries (and the juice of the blackberries if using frozen) to the dough and mix throughly with a spatula (many of the blackberries will not stay in whole form during this process, that is okay).

Fill each muffin tin paper liner about 2/3 full. Bake the muffins on the top shelf of your oven for about 16-20 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins are golden in color and the center of the muffin comes out clean when a toothpick is inserted into it.

Once the muffins are done, you can spread butter or Earth Balance Butter on the tops, and eat immediately, or you can let the muffins cool out of the tin for about 10 minutes.

Makes 15 muffins

Enjoy!

-Elle

No comments: