14 April 2011

Greens with Feta and "Sausage"


I have to admit that usually my husband cooks. But since my conversion back to healthy eating and vegetarianism, I've had to take the cooking reigns in our home. I'm lucky in that my husband has a very agreeable demeanor so he has gone happily along with my eating plans, and he's always complementary of my cooking.  But with this dish he was over the moon. Which shocked me, because as I was cooking it I thought:
"There is no way he's going to like these kielbasa "sausage." But not only did he like the "sausage" he liked the whole dish...two heaping servings full in fact, and some next day lunch leftovers.


I suggest you try this for the vegetarian, vegan, herbivore, carnivore or whatever label anyone wants to give themselves, in your life. Or more importantly make it just for you. Dark leafy greens are the most nutrient dense food. They are a rich source of minerals and phytonutrients. And, if I do say so myself, this healthy recipe is delicious. But don't take my word for it, take my husbands. 

________________________________________
Greens with Feta and "Sausage"
adapted from Whole Foods

2 chopped organic Carrots
2 bunches of chopped organic Red Chard and Collard Greens
1/2 chopped medium Red Onion
16 dried ounces of organic Short Grain Brown Rice
2-3 teaspoons of Crushed Red Pepper
2/4 pound of Feta
14 oz sliced (into rounds) Kielbasa "Sausage" (available at any co-op or Whole Foods)
1/2 tablespoon Olive Oil
Sea Salt
Pepper

In a pot, cook the short grain brown rice according to the directions on the package. When the rice is almost finished, put the carrots, greens, and onions in a wide semi-deep skillet that has 1/4 cup of water in it. Cover and cook over medium heat until greens decrease in volume. When greens decrease in volume, turn off the heat, stir the contents of the skillet and re-cover and let steam until ready to serve. 

Lightly coat another large skillet with olive oil (a pasty brush works great for this). Preheat the oil on medium heat for about 1-2 minutes. Place your sliced sausage on the skillet, making sure the pieces do not overlap one another. Heat the sausage on both sides for about 3-4 minutes. Once the sausage is done, remove them from the skillet immediately, and place on a plate. In a large serving bowl place the brown rice, greens, feta, red pepper, and sausage, and mix together. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.  

Enjoy!

-Elle

No comments: