20 June 2011

Devonshire Potato-Mushroom Pie



I believe the easiest, cheapest, satisfying and unique (simply because we have changed culturally) dishes come from cookbooks stemming from the 1960s and earlier. On Father's Day as my husband picked the "meat" for dinner-salmon to be exact, and I was tasked with deciding upon and making the vegetable. I wanted something new, easy and economical. So I searched my 1966 New York Times Menu Cookbook after scanning my 1942 copy of The Modern Family. I came up with a pie...
not a sweet pie with dough lined crust, but a potato pie. To be exact its called a Devonshire Potato-Mushroom Pie. I put my healthier touches on it such as Greek yogurt instead of sour creme, and changes some ingredient quantities and preparation procedures, and voila-a side dish made out of 1960s heaven.






_________________________________________
Devonshire Potato-Mushroom Pie
adapted from The New York Times Menu Cookbook (1966) by Craig Claiborne

3 cups Mashed Potatoes (See the Hints and Tips page)
1 1/2 cup sliced Mushrooms
2/3 cup chopped red onion
4 tbsp Unsalted Butter
1/2 medium organic Lemon juiced
1/2 cup Greek Yogurt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Make the mashed potatoes. Saute the mushrooms and onion in 2 tablespoons of butter. When the mushrooms and onions are soft, squeeze in the juice of half of the lemon and stir. In a 9 inch pie dish coated with the remaining butter, place and spread out half of the mashed potatoes. This will be the first layer of the pie. Place and spread the mushroom and onions on top of the potatoes. This is your second layer. Place and spread the remaining mashed potatoes on top of the mushrooms. This is your third layer. Spread the sour cream over the top layer of potatoes. This is your last layer.

Cook the pie for 45 minutes, until brown on the edges and on top. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.

Enjoy,
-Elle

No comments: