05 July 2011

Chocolate-Vanilla Ice Cream Sugar Cookie Sandwiches


At the end of a long day, July 4th may seem in the distant past. But it was only yesterday. As I planned our family meal with my husband's input, I wanted to do a special dinner. What we both realized is that on the 4th we like the comfort food of hot dogs, hamburgers, and some sort of potato salad, with fruit sprinkled on the side. But I had to do something different, something new. Then I analyzed that having a sweet after dinner dessert in our home is something new. Step one solved. But what to have that was easy and good? Instantly, I thought an ice cream sandwich fit the bill. 
I couldn't be a traditional ice cream sandwich with the rectangle shape soft chocolate cookie like outer layer with a vanilla center. No! This had to be different and represent the 4th of July.


While searching the supermarket aisle I found one one of my favorite pre-made sweets-iced sugar cookies. Keeping with the 4th of July theme they had red, white, and blue sprinkles on them. Then I easily got some vanilla ice cream which I would pair with chocolate syrup I already had at home. Wallah! A new ice cream treat for the 4th that any child and child at heart would love. 




____________________________________________________
Chocolate-Vanilla Ice Cream Sugar Cookie Sandwiches
Serves 4

8 Sugar Cookies with Icing on top
4 scoops Vanilla Ice Cream
4 tbsp Chocolate Syrup

On a freezer safe dish, place four individual scoops of the Ice Cream on the dish (some immediate melting may occur so work quickly). Place 1 tablespoon of Chocolate Syrup over each scoop of Ice Cream. Place the dish with the Ice Cream and Syrup in the freezer covered with wax paper. Let the ice cream stand for 1-2 hours. 

When the ice cream is frozen, remove one of the scoops from the dish (using a spatula) and place one scoop in the inside of one of the cookies (the right side of the cooking facing down). Take another cookie and place it on top of the scoop of Ice Cream. Pat down the Cookies and Ice Cream gently-making sure the Icing does not stick to the bottom of the plate. Serve immediately.

No comments: