25 July 2011

Penne Pasta with Arugula, Mozzarella and Beans {Your Way}


I once read on David Lebovitz's blog that the French are perplexed at Americans' need for exact measurements when cooking. In fact, when the French explain a recipe they provide ingredients devoid of exact measurement. I like that. How else will we test our cookery skills and make a recipe our own?

While with a friend at a local bookstore tonight I was searching for an easy dinner recipe. I happened upon Pasta with Arugula and Mozzarella from Everyday Food, a Martha Stewart publication. It's very common of me to look at a recipe and its ingredients, and then add or subtract ingredients and modify food measurements (except in baking). This is exactly what I did above. I suggest you do the same. It's the best way to become your own best chef. Take a go at it...
Here are my ingredients inspired by Everyday Food.

Pasta
Arugula
Mozzarella
Navy Beans
Capers
Lemon juice and its zest
Olive oil
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes

Here is the challenge! Modify by adding, and/or subtracting ingredients and create your own "sauce" for your dish using what you've been provided for above (or maybe not). You decide if this should be a hot, cold or a lukewarm dish. Just make sure it's good enough for you family to want to eat. Cooking good food is not up to the cooks or wannabe's of this world. Cooking is your art too. Just to make the challenge extra hard, don't spend more than I did on this recipe $11.55 (that is excluding the basic pantry item of Olive oil and the capers -I already had those). Let me know how well you do!

No comments: