01 July 2011

Summer Lunch: Focaccia Sandwiches with Corn Mint Salad


One afternoon during lunch, I found myself bored and perplexed. I usually have a sandwich for my afternoon affair purchased from varying local markets. But I wanted something different. Since I was working from home I thought why not try to make the perfect sandwich with salad. As I walked through the market, ingredients started churning in my head. I had fresh mint, basil and cilantro from the farmers market...
all or some of those most definitely had to be used. Then I just gravitated to my other favorite things, cucumber, apple, tomato, corn, mayo (yes it is one of my favorite things-eaten sparingly), and then of course focaccia bread. This is the result of my afternoon summer sandwich exploits. It's really good!





____________________________________________
Focaccia Sandwiches with Corn Mint Salad
Serves 2

Foccaccia Sandwich

1/2 Loaf Focaccia Bread (of your choosing, mine is Black Olive, Basil and Feta Focaccia)
2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
1/2 medium size Cucumber peeled and sliced
1/2 medium size Apple cored and sliced (my preference is Braeburn, because it is crisp and slightly sweet)
1 sliced Roma Tomato
Bunch Fresh Basil

Slice length wise in half the Loaf of Focaccia. Spread the Mayonnaise on the bottom portion of the Focaccia. Arrange the Roma Tomato, than the Apple, and then the Cucumber on the Focaccia. Tear the Fresh Basil, and arrange on top of the Tomato (add an amount of Basil to your particular taste) Add the top portion of the Focaccia to the bottom and its ingredients. Cut the Focaccia into sandwich size portions. Serve. 


(To make this recipe Vegan, skip the Mayonnaise and use a Vegan substitute such as Lemonaise) 

Corn Mint Salad

1 can (about 12 oz) Sweet Whole Kernel Corn
1/2 peeled and cubed Medium Cucumber
1 tbsp Olive Oil
2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
Bunch Fresh Mint

Drain the water from the can of Corn. Add the Corn, Cucmber, Olive Oil and Red Wine Vinegar to a bowl. Stir the contents of the bowl thoroughly. Tear the Fresh Mint, and add to the bowl (add the amount of Mint to your particular taste). Stir the content of the bowl thoroughly again. Serve.

Enjoy!

-Elle


No comments: