13 September 2011

Buttermilk Wheat Waffles with a Twinge of Coconut


Many years ago I gave a waffle maker to my friend Sebastian and his then new bride Andrea as a wedding gift. It was on the registry, so clearly they wanted it. Later at our office Sebastian had confided in me, that of all the things on the registry, what he really wanted was the waffle maker. I felt happy that I could be the one who gave it to him them. He went on and on how he LOVED waffles. As soon as they had opened the gift, he made waffles that next morning. Now, I had never really thought of waffles until that conversation. Most of my life I had only had Ego waffles, and for me personally they left something to be desired. Being human though, I wanted (all of the sudden) what Sebastian had received from me, a waffle maker.
Well I did get my waffle maker, many many years later. I think the consistent longing subsided soon after my conversation with Sebastian. But, intermittent longing remained for years. But when it came to my kitchen purchases, a waffle maker never made it to the top of my desire list. Then one day, my mother surprised me with a waffle maker.


It really wasn't until I got that waffle maker that the world of waffles opened up to me. They could contain so many ingredients in the batter and on top of the waffle itself. I grew to believe that restaurants and Ego had done me grave disservice with white flour based waffles with blueberries, bananas, and strawberries. And the ease of cooking with the waffle maker was unsurpassed. Since the birth of that random gift I purchased for friends and my mom then purchased for me many years later, let me just say from experience...you need a waffle maker. Don't fret, this is just the beginning of our culinary waffle odyssey together.


____________________________________________________________
Buttermilk Wheat Waffles with a Twinge of Coconut
makes approximately 7 large waffles

2 cups Wheat Flour
1 tbsp Baking Powder
1 3/4 cup Buttermilk
2 large Eggs
1 tsp Coconut Extract
Butter
Maple Syrup

In a bowl add the ingredients in the order listed above (with the exception of the Butter and Maple Syrup). With a spoon or spatula mix the ingredients thoroughly.

Prepare and set your waffle maker to the desired crispness of the waffles (I like mine on 3, Hubby likes his on 4). Pour the batter into the waffle maker and cook according to its instructions.

Place each waffle on a plate as they come out of the waffle maker and coat with butter, stacking each waffle on top of the other. 

When all the waffles are done, coat with Maple Syrup (or whatever you like) and serve immediately.

Enjoy!
-Elle

No comments: