15 September 2011

Latin Tuna on a Garlic Demi Baguette


Here's my rule of thumb regarding my life and this blog. You don't have to give up the food you love to be healthy, you just have to make healthy the food you love. I love tuna fish sandwiches. So does my dog, Henri. That's how I know that we are sole mates. His love for tuna fish too. Although, come to think of it, Henri loves most food. Therefore he could be most people's sole mates if that's the criteria.

Tuna fish sandwiches have always been on the no no list...because of all the yummy mayo. But there was no way I was living my life with out it. So I figured out how to live my life with it by
damning the mayo (I had to. Mayo fat in moderation won't hurt anyone, but not at the rate I glop it on tuna to make a sandwich it will kill ya), and finding an appropriate substitute. Can you say, "Good tuna sandwich with no sugar and 100 grams of saturated fat." Did you say it? If you didn't, say it. It will feel like the guilt and fat shackles have been taken off of you. Now for your next job, try it.

___________________________________________________
*Latin Tuna on a Garlic Demi Baguette
makes 1 hearty sandwich
*denotes comments at the end of the recipe-read first

1 Garlic Demi Baguette
1 can Tuna in Water
1/4 small Red Onion, chopped
10 leaves Cilantro
1-1 1/2 tbsp Latin Lemonaise

Slice the Baguette in half lengthwise. 

Drain the can of Tuna of its water. Add the drained Tuna to a small bowl, adding the Onion, Cilantro, and Latin Lemonaise. Stir the contents of the bowl thoroughly. 

Place the Tuna mixture between the two halves of the Baguette. Serve immediately.  

*Latin Lemonaise is a dairy free mayonnaise substitute. It can be found in the mayonnaise section of your supermarket. Do not confuse Latin Lemonaise with the original Lemonaise. 

Enjoy!
-Elle



No comments: