06 September 2011

Real Southern Black Eyed Peas


I come from a family of Southerners. No.  I should clarify. I come from a family of Texans. The fact that I even called this Real Southern Black Eyed Peas would engender ridicule, groans, and comments such as, "That's not Black Eyed Peas. You don't know what your talk'in about." To them, I'm sure, how on earth could I call this Real Southern Black Eyed Peas when it wasn't cooked with any ham hock. If you don't know what that is,
consult your nearest southern american food encyclopedia. Then I imagine my family say'in: "Even if we forgive you the ham hock, where's the meat?" They're right. There is no meat in this recipe. But I'm fix'in to address that issue in the recipe. Just as a suggestion, black eyed peas can't fully be enjoyed without something southern to accompany it, like corn bread or fried catfish. Southern's love their food...and with good reason! Here's just a little tiny taste of their savory repertoire.


I love this picture. It's like the light of God shining on the black eyed peas, saying "Yes, thou should cook and eat these!"
___________________________________________
*Real Southern Black Eyes Peas
makes 6-8 servings
*denotes comments at the end of the recipe-read first

1 lbs dried Black Eyes Peas
2 vegetable or chicken Bouillon Cubes
1 large Red Onion, diced
8 leaves of Basil
(patience)

Rinse the Black Eyed Peas well in a colander, and sort. 

In a stock pot, bring 10 cups of water and the Black Eyed Peas to a rapid boil. Remove from heat, and let sit covered for 1 hour.

Bring the Black Eyed Peas back to a boil. Add the Bouillon Cubes, Onion and Basil Leaves. Stir briefly, lower the heat and let the Black Eyed Peas simmer for 1 1/2 hours. 

Serve immediately.

*Comments
-To have a more authentic black eyed pea experience, instead of adding the bouillon cubes add one large piece of ham hock with the onion and basil. When the the peas are done simmering remove the ham hock bone and serve. 

Enjoy!
-Elle

2 comments:

Marcia said...

Ohh. Looks delicious!

Not sure if we have any (canned) beans in our food supply pantry.

Well, for sure, I could care less re pig. My tummy does not ever see that. No meats please. A bit of organic chicken sometimes is enough.

Are vegetarians banned in Texas? Or any southern states? No! From what I read and see .... they eat to much red meat. Ugh.

Hoppin John is really good w/cooked spinach, etc. Beans and greens. Great + healthy way to begin 2012!

Lets all ENJOY ......!

Elle said...

Marcia: I don't think vegetarians are officially banned from Texas, but the cultural undercurrent may be hostile toward them. : ) They may say things my family used to say at get togethers..."Want some BBQ ribs honey, or are you still not eating meat?" My snarky reply would then be "Well since it's been about 20 years since I ate meat, I'm still not eating meat." You see it's the southern hospitality paired with the passive persuasion to eat beef, pork you name it.