18 September 2011

Roasted Curried Chickpeas



Good healthy snacks can be hard to come by. In fact, in the snack realm, still to this day, I'll opt for chips and salsa or a good bag of salt & vinegar or salt & pepper potato chips. This is my Kryptonite. Hubby and I have been fortunate, while trolling the local Indian supermarkets, to find good snack foods with little to no sugar and no salt. Just one downside. We love hot food. But Indians REALLY love hot food.
Yikes! My body can only take so much burning. I can't shouldn't keep feeding my body the sweet nectar of the potato and tortilla chip. Luckily, I might slowly be on my way to solving my snack dilemma.


I'm new to the idea of Roasted Chickpeas. As I searched and read about how different cooks prepared this snack, and comments about how it didn't work for some recipe partakers, I got curious. It looked easy to make (minus some of the complaints of sogginess, which I could remedy), and in my world anything with any type of seasoning is good. Here it was...what I had been looking for, a sweet, salty snack with some protein for good measure. Low and behold, it's good to boot!


___________________________________________________
Roasted Curried Chickpeas

1 can (or 15 oz) Chickpeas, drained
1 tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Curry Powder
1 tsp Cumin
1/2 tbsp Sesame Seed Oil

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a small bowl combine the Sea Salt, Curry Powder and Cumin and mix together thoroughly.

Place drained Chickpeas in a large skillet or saute pan (making sure the Chickpeas do not overlap one another), and heat on medium high heat for 3 minutes shaking the pan and chickpeas every minute above the heat (like you would Jiffy Pop only over the burner not on top). This drys out the Chickpeas so when roasted they will become hard and not soggy.

Place the Chickpeas in a bowl and pour the Sesame Seed Oil over the Chickpeas. Mix the Chickpeas so that each Chickpea has a very light coat of Sesame Seed Oil. Add the contents of the spice bowl to the Chickpeas and mix, making sure that each Chickpea is coated with the spices.

Place the Chickpeas on a baking sheet or in an oven proof skillet, making sure that the Chickpeas do not overlap one another, and cook approximately 25-30 minutes (times may vary based on individual ovens). Every 10-15 minutes shake the Chickpeas so they do not stick to the baking sheet. The Chickpeas are done when they are golden brown and relatively hard in consistency. 

When the Chickpeas are done cooking let them cool at room temperature for about 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!
-Elle



No comments: