01 October 2011

Portabella Zucchini Quiche {Part 1 in a series}


Did you know that every country/culture has the version of an Omlette? The Spanish have the Tortilla, the Italians have the Frittata, the Chinese have Egg FooYung, and the French have the Quiche...our topic for today. The easiest to make, filling breakfast and dinner (and throw in lunch) item I know to make is a Quiche. It takes very little effort with maximum benefits. Most Americans are used to the broccoli and cheese, ham and cheese or cheese Quiche, which I think is a total bore. Eating is about variety. To much of the same thing results in the same thing. When I create a Quiche for my family I like to think
out of the box about the combination of things I love, and what's in season...the perpetual theme of my cooking life and this blog. For today's post I worked in season with portabella mushrooms and zucchini, prevalent this time of year. I also used for the most part the foundation recipe for a Quiche outlined by


Ms. Julia Child. I find with there is more cream (or milk) used in a real French Quiche recipe then egg used, as oppose if you have an American recipe for a French Quiche. The use of more cream makes the dish lighter and, well creamier. Because I am such a big Quiche fan I'll post a series of these delectable dishes.


As always, when you purchase food in season costs are less expensive. The portabellas and the zucchini I purchased from the local farmers market are in season. One package of portabellas (8 oz) cost me a $1.00 and three large zucchini cost me $2.00. I know the protabellas were not homegrown. Always try to by homegrown if you can, but if you can't purchase organic healthy and cheap if you can.


I hope you enjoy this thoroughly upgraded Quiche. There is more to come after this!




_____________________________________________________
Portabella Zucchini Quiche
serves 4

1-9 inch Deep Dish Pie Crust
3 eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
4 oz Portabella Mushrooms, chopped
1 Zucchini, julienne into 30 slices
2 tbsp Unsalted Butter, sliced in to 4 pieces

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

In a bowl add the three eggs and the buttermilk, and stir gently. Add the mushrooms and mix all the ingredients thoroughly. Pour the contents of the bowl into the crust.

Place the julienned zucchini on top of the egg, buttermilk and mushroom mixture. Place the butter on top of the zucchini equidistant from each other. 

Place the Quiche in the oven and let cook for about 25-35 minutes. Cooking times will vary based on oven. The Quiche is done cooking when the crust is a golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the Quiche.

Enjoy!
-Elle


No comments: