30 November 2011

Latest Read: The Omnivore's Dilemma


Learning as much about food as possible (i.e. technique, how it grows, food preparation, and processes) has led me to some rather disturbing reads about our current food system. Wanting a break, I had avoided the critically acclaimed Ominvore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan, solely based on the assumption that the title appeared as it it would transport me to yet again another disturbing account of animal treatment in factory farms. However, when my good friend (who has nominal interest in gory food details) told me to read it, I trusted her squeamish ways.
While I'm not completely finished reading the Omnivore's Dilemma, I've come away with two thoughts. First, it's an entirely easy and interesting read. Second, it provides a fascinating look into America's past and current farming and food production ways. So far there are no terrible animal abuse stories.

Sometimes the hardest thing to do in life is pay attention. When you do, you now have the knowledge and the responsibility to either do something about it or ignore it. But I believe knowledge is good, and so is this book.

No comments: