09 January 2012

Banana Bread ala Elle

I have post shopping guilt, my friends. Hubby and I came across 10 lbs of bananas for 2 ones yesterday & I could not resist. Never mind that I consistently attempt to stay fashionably in season while eating. But at the sight of the sale price how I viewed myself simply evaporated into thin air. Like I had just seen a brand new Louis Vuitton sitting in a sleeping bum's hand. Is there some short of Food Shoppers Anonymous meeting I could attend? If so...please let me know. Since I've unwillingly willingly contributed to air pollution for shipment from where ever bananas are in season, massive petroleum use, migrant farm labor (probably), & failure to put money in the pocket of my own state agricultural community, let's make banana bread shall we? Not just any Banana Bread, but unbelievably moist Banana Bread with healthier ingredients. Next time, I'll remember
a lady can never be bought. Especially for 2 ones!



Banana Bread ala Elle

3 ripe Bananas, mashed
3/4 cup Dark Brown Sugar
2 tbsp organic Applesauce
1 organic Egg
1/2 tsp ground Nutmeg
1 tsp ground Cinnamon
1 tbsp Sea Salt
1 tbsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 cups Wheat Flour
Butter

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan with butter. 

In a large bowl mash the bananas well. Add the sugar, applesauce, egg, nutmeg, & cinnamon and mix well. Add the salt & baking soda. Stir the contents of the bowl three to four times only. Add the flour & stir until thoroughly mixed, making sure not to over process the batter. 

Pour the batter in the loaf pan, & place in the oven for 30-40 minutes. Cooking times will vary. Therefore make sure a toothpick placed in the center of the bread comes out clean before removing the bread from the oven. 

The loaf when complete should separate from the loaf pan. Let cool for 2-3 minutes. Slice and serve hot with or without butter. Your choice!

                         Elle

No comments: