14 January 2012

Peanut Rice with Vegetables


I have a confession to make. Sometimes (well Hubby would say often) I'm poor at managing my hunger. It's not on purpose, it's just that breakfast usually carries me far into the afternoon. Then I keep working. All of the sudden I'll be hungrier than than a bride searching for a man who can buy her a Tiffany engagement ring. In times like this I head for protein really quickly to get my hunger under control, until I get a good meal. So here is my quickie protein secret, only hubby knows it.
But before I tell you I must explain that I always have freshly cooked brown rice on hand because that's the base for all of Henri's meals (my little one doesn't eat processed dog food). Okay so here is the secret. Rice. Soy Sauce. A..n..d....Peanut Butter (come to think of it, almond butter would be good too). It's a kin to eating peanut noodles at an Asian food restaurant. I've since, expanded on my quick protein fix to encompass a real meal with some fresh vegetables added. Necessity really is the mother of invention!

Peanut Rice with Vegetables

1 1/2 cup uncooked Long Grain Brown Rice
1/2 lbs fresh Green Beans, snapped
1 medium Red Onion, sliced
2 1/2 heaping tbsp Organic Creamy Peanut Butter
3 tbsp Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
Pepper

Cook the rice according to the package directions.

In a medium pan, steam the green beans and the onion until the green beans are mildly tender. 

In a large pan or wok set on low to medium heat, add the prepared rice, green beans, onion, peanut butter, and soy. Stir very well (you'll want the peanut butter to coat all the contents making sure there are no clumps of peanut butter. Add more soy if necessary to dissolve the clumps). Add the pepper to your desired taste. Stir the dish once again. Serve immediately. 

                                                              Elle   

No comments: