24 January 2012

Spicy Carrot Soup



Two times in one week. You heard me.

I loved it.

My husband loved it.

We could not get enough...

of the carrot soup that is.

I love a good soup that will give me that warm cozy winter feeling like I get when I put on my grandmother's fur car coat (it was the 40's what can I say it was in fashion then). But I also need a soup that's good but doesn't add to the width of my thighs like the many soups I love (and eat very sparingly) with a cream base. I found it.
The recipe is adapted from 101 Cookbooks. I put my FaB spin on it, of course. Nonetheless, if you have not visited 101 Cookbooks (the first question I have is where do you live, under a diamond) it's a must visit. This soup is so easy, so thick and rich, so quick and so good. It's now our winter staple friends. And it's ________ (name your chubbiest body part) friendly.


Slice the carrots into rounds and then chop.


Chop the onion. Mince the garlic. Add the onion and garlic to a stock pot with olive oil that has already been heated. Cook until the onion is translucent.



Add the vegetable stock to the pot, then the carrots. Bring to a gentle boil, and then let simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until the carrots are tender. Add the pot of ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth. 




Add the contents of the blender-the soup, back to the pot and place on low heat. Add lemon juice, curry, and salt. Stir. Eat!



Spicy Carrot Soup
adapted from 101 Cookbooks

1 3/4 lbs organic Carrots, chopped
1 large White Onion, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, minced
2 tbsp Olive Oil
4 cups Vegetable Stock
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1-2 tsp Curry Powder
1 tsp salt

Place a stock pot on medium to high heat and add the olive oil. Let warm for about 1 minute. Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook until the onion is translucent. Add the stock and carrots to the pot.

Bring to a gentle boil, and then let simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until the carrots are tender. Add the pot of ingredients to a blender and puree until smooth.

Add the contents of the blender-the soup, back to the pot and place on low heat. Add the lemon juice, curry, and salt. Stir.  Serve immediately!

-add 2 teaspoons of curry to give it a really great kick 


                                                 Elle!


No comments: