09 February 2012

Healthier Donuts & Cookies? Yes It is Possible!

Top: Apple Cider Donuts from Fitsugar; Bottom: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies from Oh She Glows.
Have I shared with you my previous addiction? It's Sugar. Sweet delectable processed sugar to be exact lovelies. I would take it in any form, (i.e. cakes, cookies, donuts, candy bars, M&M's, soda &c...) although I had my favorites. The addiction. It's Strong,. Often times stronger than me. Although I take it day by day, I know I am an addict & could easily fall off the wagon. Yes, friends. A woman like me, too, has her demons.
When I decided to clean up my life...the thought of giving-up baked goods for the rest of my life couldn't be, wouldn't be, an option.

So I searched.

I looked.

I traveled.

I inquired.

Finally I found.

I found the substitution that would give me my fix without the consequences (high blood sugar, spiked insulin levels, high highs & tiresome low lows, & more sugar addiction). It came in the least likely of places...the vegan &/or gluten free world. A bakery I never dreamed of going to. One I would never now consider leaving.

I used to be quite a baker. But now given my processed sugar abstinence I struggle with knowing how to put together the alternative ingredients vegan baking requires to get a tasty sweet. But why should I, & more importantly you suffer for my learning curve. Let's leave the recipes to the experts. You can still have healthier good baked Donuts with this Apple Cider Donuts recipe. Let's not forget Angela, professional baker of Oh She Glow's Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies.

I may not have my own healthier baking recipes to share yet. But I would never deprive either of us the information to someone else's. Sweet Eating Sweets!!!

P.S. If you don't think healthier or vegan baked goods taste as well as the "originals" I have a year's full of Whole Food vegan cookie receipts to prove otherwise wrong. 

No comments: