14 March 2012

Gnocchi with Broccoli & Basil




My saga with gnocchi started almost two decades ago. I attempted to make what looked delicious, but I had never tasted it. The recipe looked easy enough. So I worked the recipe in self assurance that MY gnocchi would be as good tasting as the picture seemed to be. Clearly my ego was not ready for the results of my italian endeavor. Let's say Sweeties... that to this day I cannot for the life of me figure out how I made such perfectly shaped little rocks.

Fast forward to Florence Italy. I'm sitting in a restaurant in one of the many Piazzas (who can tell them apart) where I tasted something that a restaurant in the States has yet to replicate to this day. A potato gnocchi with the lightest full tasting tomato sauce I've ever had. This my Friends is when my true love for gnocchi was born (I would have ordered a second dish it was so good, but manners & fear of judgment precluded me. It was SUCH a bad decision on my part).
Despite my culinary bravery I leave gnocchi to the experts or the grocery store shelves. I see my job Dearies, my strength really, to add good ingredients to an already tasty ingredient-here gnocchi, to make something I want again and again. Tell me what you think.

Gnocchi with Broccoli & Basil
serves 4

2 16 oz packages Sweet Potato Gnocchi
1 bunch Broccoli Florets
1 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 pats Butter or Earth Balance Butter
1/2 tbsp Chopped Basil

Cook the gnocchi according to the package directions. 

Steam the florets to medium tender. Drain any remaining water. 

Add the florets, gnocchi, oil, and butter together in a large serving bowl and mix gently. Add the basil to the contents of the bowl and mix gently again. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately. Enjoy!!!

Elle 

No comments: