07 March 2012

Puffed Apple Pancake {or Easter Brunch Idea #4}



I need change Dearies. I used to abhor change. But now, I'm constantly looking at how the things that I do everyday can be done differently. That includes the dishes I eat. It's not often that I eat pancakes, with all the flour, butter, & loads of maple syrup (oh I'm sorry is there another way to eat them). Let's not even talk about the griddle time.

But when I ran across this recipe this week from one of my favorite family blogs Rockstar Diaries (& if you have not visited this blog-which is on my blog list Lovelies, you are missing out). I was intrigued, especially by the quote "It's the simplest thing to make on this planet."
Boy was Taza of Rockstar Diaries right. It was a hot skip & a jump to pancake heaven. Which may be too bad, because since this morning I've only been thinking about what other fruits to add to my next one. I see my next one coming tomorrow morning in the immediate future.

Puffed Apple Pancake
adapted from Rockstar Diaries
serves 2 (if portion control is your thing)

2 Organic Brown Eggs
1/2 cup Buttermilk
1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
dash of Salt
dash of Cinnamon
dash of Nutmeg
2 tbsp Butter or Earth Balance
1 sweet Apple, sliced lengthwise
Powdered Sugar {optional}
Maple Syrup {optional}

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

In a bowl add the first six ingredients and whisk together thoroughly, making sure to eliminate most of the clumps. 

Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter & coat a pie pan or glass with the butter using a pastry brush (or paper towel). Pour the batter into the buttered pie tin. Place in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes (oven times will vary), making sure that center of the pancake is thoroughly solid and the edges are puffed.

While the pancake is cooking, melt the remaining butter in a small frying or saute pan on medium heat. Add the sliced apples and let saute until soft, about 5 to 10 minutes. 

Remove the pancake (which will deflate a bit when out of the oven). Top the pancake with the cooked apple. Add the last two ingredients on top of the pancake if you'd like. Serve immediately.  Enjoy!!!

Elle

No comments: