24 April 2012

No Butter Chicken

photo image: Apple a Day


If your family is anything like mine Dears, you may say just as often, a common phrase that circulates around Casa Walczak about the same time every night: "What do you want for dinner." I'd like to say that I'm like my friend Sarah who has her meals planned out for the day. But what with a full-time law firm, daily exercise classes to simply maintain my current unsatisfactory weight (oh how American woman of me), this lovely blog, a hubby, & a dog -meal planning is not my top priority. If me & Hubby decide to add baby into the mix, let us just say I'll be working on my post for a Nanny opening. Therefore, in our home, meals need to be good, healthy, & satisfying. If you've been reading long enough you know I'm not a meat or poultry eater (which will soon change this fall...stay tuned for the saga). Hubby describes himself as a "meat eating vegetarian." Which really means is that when we're at home, absent an intense craving, he eats what I eat. Once out, all vegetarian bets are off! 


But I've never meant to deprive many of you, who are meat or poultry eaters, from developing a repertoire of great meat filled meals. Therefore, I think you may want to try this on for size. It has a great combination of ingredients, & its a healthier take on an common indian dish (one of my favorite cuisines). This should very well answer your question tonight as to: "What's for dinner."

What is the common question that circulates in your home everyday?

No Butter Chicken
serves 4
recipe courtesy of Healthy Aperture & Apple a Day
a Bal Arneson Recipe

2 Tbsp Grapeseed or Olive Oil
1 small Red Onion, chopped
2 Tbsp Garlic, chopped
1 Tbsp Ginger, chopped
2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
1 Tbsp brown sugar (I used dark)
1 Tbsp Cumin Seeds
1 Tbsp Garam Masala
1 tsp. Red Chile Flakes
1 tsp. Turmeric
1 tsp. Salt
1 lb. boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts, cubed
1/4 c. Greek Yogurt (my addition)
1/2 c. Water
Rice or Roti, for serving
Cilantro, for garnish 

Put a large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. When the oil heats, add the onion, garlic, and ginger.  Cook for 4 minutes, or until the onion is golden. Add the tomato paste, brown sugar,cumin seeds, garam masala, red chile flakes, turmeric, and salt and cook 2 minutes more. 

Add the chicken cubes and stir well to coat. Add yogurt and water and cook, stirring until the chicken is done, about 8 minutes.  Serve, garnished with cilantro, over rice or scoop up with roti. 

No comments: