14 April 2012

Sweet Blackberry Almond Feta Salad




Saturday my Loves! It's not only THE perfect day to be creative. It is also the perfect day to eat well {or cleanse depending on any upcoming events or fitness goals one may have}. Why is this? Because the day is in your control.

Now believe me when I tell you, I do not believe eating well is exclusive to salads. Salads are the easiest way to fall off any healthy eating regimen. The monotony of it all...it makes me want to faint from pure tedium! But I also feel that we do need the roughage {in with the good...out with the bad}. And as salads go, they should be interesting, & devoid of the same vintage combination of ingredients that you would get at the local HoJos. You know them.
 
Lettuce.

Cucumber.

Tomato.

Dare I say cheddar cheese???

And let's not forget the ubiquitous french & bleu cheese combination of dressing.

I shiver.

Now, I brought this salad to a dinner party, with my friends as the unknowing ginny pigs, having never made it before. I waited on bated breath as to whether people would eat it, go back for seconds, & how much would be left over. To my relief & ego, I got some very nice complements {unsolicited mind you-& without their slightest knowledge it was a first run recipe}. The compliment that ended it all for me was from my English friend who stated {unsolicited...just a reminder} "I hate salads. I won't eat them. But this is really good. I like it." And my little twig of a friend had seconds! Enough said!


Sweet Blackberry Almond Feta Salad
serves 8-10

For the Salad

1 head Romain Lettuce, chopped well
8 ounces Feta Cheese
12 ounces fresh Blackberries, halved
1/4 lbs Slivered Almonds

For the Balsamic Vinaigrette Salad Dressing

1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/3 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1 dash Granulated Sugar
1/2 tablespoon Organic Honey
1 dash Salt
3 dashes finely ground Pepper

Instructions for the salad:

In a large bowl place all the salad ingredients and mix well. The secret to the good taste of this salad is let it sit at room temperature for about 30-45 minutes so all the flavors infuse. Then add the salad dressing sparingly so it just coats the contents of the salad. Serve. Enjoy!

Instructions for the Vinaigrette Salad Dressing:

In a small glass container the easily pours. Add the first two ingredients and whisk well until they combine. 

Add the last four ingredients and whisk well again. Pour sparingly onto the salad.


No comments: