09 May 2012

Mantecado {Mexican Sweet Bread} with French Vanilla Ice Cream



Lovies, Cinco de Mayo has come & gone. But the Mexican sweet bread is here to stay this fine Wednesday! You see, this past Saturday Hubby & I went to dinner at my girlfriend (from law school...in fact she's a judge now & married Hubby & I...we were her first marriage) & her husband's home. We set an obvious dinner theme since it was Cinco de Mayo (but to be quite frank Dears none of us knew or know the significance).  I was tasked in bringing the dessert. In keeping with the theme I wanted a Mexican based after dinner sweet. The first thing that came to mind was the obvious (what a bore) Tres Leches cake. Firstly, I was in no mood to make one. Secondly, I thought "Iet's try something different shall we?" So I headed to a local mercado called Midtown Global Market, where I knew there was a Mexican Bakery called Panaderia El Mexicano (as I have drooled over their sweets before). Once I convinced the patron to lead me to the true sweet preferences of those south of the border, I finally had many things to bring.  The above picture, that I'm sharing with you, is one of the incarnations of the Mexican sweet breads we ate last weekend.

Do you have any cross cultural desserts that are your FaVorites? Let me know what they are so I can try them (if I have not already)!

You can find the recipe & a Mexican sweet bread alternative if you can't find one in your town, if you

Mantecado {Mexican Sweet Bread} with French Vanilla Ice Cream

1 thick long slice *Mantecado, cut in half
1 pint French Vanilla Ice Cream
8 ounces Unsweetened Coconut

Place half of the Mantecado {or sweet bread) on a plate. Add one scoop of the ice cream in the center of the sweet bread. Sprinkle coconut in your desired amount over the bread & ice cream. Serve immediately. Enjoy immensely!

Elle

*There are many types of Mexican sweet bread. Make sure you purchase Mantecado which is white bread sprinkled with sugar on top (it naturally comes with a lot of that).

*If you are unable to find the Mexican sweet bread Mantecado, you can fashion something similar on your own. Take a slice out of the middle of a large loaf of plain artisan white bread, and cut in half. Spread room temperature unsalted butter on top of the slice of bread. Sprinkle the bread with granulated sugar in copious amounts. Follow the remaining instructions above.


photo image: FaVorable Food

No comments: