29 May 2012

Spicy Broccoli with Chickpea, Penne, Garlic & Raisins



If you read yesterday's post & was wondering how we continued to threat ourselves well after our lovely prairie hike, this was it. I've made a more basic variation of this dish since I was 20 years old. If I am honest with myself, I like pasta best without red or white sauce. They mask the other ingredient flavors of the dish. Which in my estimation is not okay, unless the sauce is suppose to be the culinary star.

I've also read many times, that Italy Italians rarely eat pasta alone as a main dish. Rather it's an accompaniment. Secondly, pasta is eaten far more without "sauce,"& more so with olive oil as the ingredients binder. I like that. When I was last in Italy I was a teenager. I never paid attention to the pasta dishes, as the incredible bread of the Italian Riviera & the gelato grabbed my attention the whole trip. But now I'm pasta interested. A perfect excuse to take a trip across the pond (as the Brits say). Don't you agree Dearies? For Recipe...

Spicy Broccoli with Chickpea, Penne, Garlic & Raisins

serves 8


3/4 pound Penne Pasta, cooked al dente
1 Broccoli Crown, stems chopped & florets separated but kept in tact
6 tablespoons Olive Oil
15 ounces Chickpeas
6 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 Scallion, chopped fine
4 ounces Raisins or Golden Raisins
2 teaspoons Crushed Red Pepper
Salt
Pepper

Cook pasta al dente according to the directions. 

Blanch the broccoli in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain

Place a large sauté pan on medium high heat. Add the olive oil, chickpeas, garlic scallion, raisins, and red pepper. Heat until chickpeas begin to pop. Make sure to stir the contents frequently. 

In a large bowl add pasta, plus a little bit of the pasta water (about 1/4 cup), the broccoli, and the contents of the sauté pan.   Stir the contents of the bowl throughly. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir again. Serve immediately. Savor immensely. 

Elle


recipe inspired by Vegetarian Lite Magazine

No comments: