14 June 2012

Amaretto Spiked Fannie Farmer Pound Cake



There are many reasons to make a pound cake (mind you the cake should really weigh a Lbs, hence it's name). My reasons were three fold. One, Casa Walczak is undergoing some major renovations. Since my Jeffery ("my step-father" for all you not in the know) was kind enough to spend, what should have taken 1 hour but instead took 4 hours, fixing a 1950s leaky cauldron of a tub, he deserved a sweet Thank You. Two, it was the first cool day in about four Texas summer hot days. Three, I love a good pound cake.


With my formal taste tester in tow, easily pulled from the window upon the mere opening of the refrigerator door, I set to work. My base recipe was from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. The added ingredient of liquor was my idea. This was a new recipe excursion for me. But I knew I was on the right track when the batter was the best I have ever tasted. I consider myself a cake batter connoisseur. Then Hubby reinforced my confidence when he came home and exclaimed it smelled wonderful outside leading up to the door. Despite my eventual obvious delight of the taste. My ability to follow directions was additionally confirmed by my friend Nancy who had two delightful pieces of cake at one sitting over conversation. Pound cake always reminds me of a good home.

Amaretto Spiked Fannie Farmer Pound Cake
inspired by Fannie Farmer

1/2 pound Butter (or 2 sticks), at room temperature
1 2/3 cup Sugar
5 Organic Brown Eggs
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon real Vanilla Extract
3 teaspoons Amaretto Liquor

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and lightly flour a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.

Add butter to a mixer on low speed and cream throughly. Add the sugar slowly. Throughly mix the two ingredients before adding the eggs. Add one egg at a time, combining each well into the previous ingredients. Then add the flour at 1/2 cup increments, salt, vanilla, and liquor. The resulting batter should be very creamy and light in color (and very good tasting).

Spoon the batter into the pan and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Cooking times will vary according to ovens. Therefore, make sure a toothpick comes out clean before removing the cake.* Let the cake sit for 5-10 minutes to cool. Remove it from the pan. Cut. Serve. Relax and enjoy over coffee. 



*The outside of the cake may cook at a faster rate then the middle of the cake. If this is happening, and the outside is getting uncomfortably dark, lover the oven temperature to 200 degrees or turn it off completely. Let the cake sit, and it will continue to cook with the residual heat. 


Elle

No comments: