12 June 2012

"Middle Eastern" Fried Egg Sandwich


I don't know anyone who does not like an egg sandwich. I've loved them for years...in many variations. When I was studying in Madrid, my body could never quite acclimate to the late dinners (which often started at 10:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. ). This was also the second lightest meal of the day, the first being breakfast. This consisted of cafe con leche (coffee with milk) & the equivalent of our mini muffins (about three in all). I showed myself to be very American by having about 4 each day. This eating "frenzy" was  all topped off with the no eating in between meal culture. So I was hungry well before dinner. Everyday at around 7:00 p.m. once school was finished for the day I headed to the cafeteria.


Everyday like clock work I ordered "un Bocadillo con Huevos Fritos sin Mayonesa" (Fried Egg Sandwich without Mayo). The Spanish love their mayo on everything...try asparagus with mayonnaise on top.  There in Spain my love for the Fried Egg Sandwich was born, out of necessity then pure desire.

"Middle Eastern" Fried Egg Sandwich

1 Bagel {your flavor}, toasted
5 ounces Hummus {our flavor again}
3 ounces Reduced Plain Fat Cream Cheese 
1 Organic Brown Egg, fried
1 small onion, sliced very thin {optional}

Slice the toasted bagel in half. Place the hummus on one side of the bagel, and the cream cheese on the other half. Add the egg to one side of the bagel. On top of the egg add the onions in your desired amount. Form a sandwich with the bagel. Eat!

This would also be nice with lettuce, tomato & a little sweet pickle. Don't you think?

Elle

No comments: