21 June 2012

Strawberry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Pie



This past weekend we were invited over our neighbor Nancy's home for an impromptu dinner party {the pictures of which I'll share in a later post}. The reason? An excuse to make the Sangria recipe she learned in Spain {& has been sitting in her cupboard with cobwebs on it for 10 years!}.  I took it upon myself to bring dessert. I had a dessert idea churring in my mind for a couple of weeks. As Nancy & Hubby are frequent FaVorable Food Guinea pigs, I thought this would be another perfect time to run a food experiment of sorts on them.

Not only was our dinner party impromptu so was the additional dinner guest, Mary....whom we all agreed to ask as Hubby & I were headed over to Nancy's home for dinner with drinks. Mary is not one of my usual Guinea pigs. So I had to step lightly & pay attention to any critique she may have about my culinary offerings {is that what you call a glorified Baskin Robbins pie, a culinary offering?}. While confident in my execution of basic ingredients {which this recipe entails} you never know & I certainly did not. Needless to say, it was quite the hit...or this post would not be here. Or if it was here, you wouldn't be back.

It's a bake-less, "fresh tasting & light"{not my words but Nancy's & Mary's} pie, which is nice on a summer's day. Can I just say next time, while I love the taste of the whole dessert, the next post will simply be Graham Cracker Crust Pie. You know, the equivalent of eating whipped cream out of the can. The crust is that good!

Strawberry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Pie
serves 6

For the Filling:

1 Lbs Organic Strawberries, sliced in thirds
2 Tsp Granulated Sugar
1 Tsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 Pint Vanilla Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, soft

For the Crust:

9 Whole Graham Crackers, crushed into very little pieces
7 Tbsp Salted Butter, a little above room temperature
2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar


Pre-make the strawberry topping. 

In a medium sized bowl add the strawberries, granulated sugar and balsamic vinegar. Mix the ingredients. Place the bowl uncovered in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours. 

To make the crust add the Graham Crackers, butter and sugar to a bowl. Mix throughly using your hands, if necessary. Press out the crust evenly into an ungreased baking glass or pie dish. Place the dish in the refrigerator uncovered for 15-20 minutes. 

Remove the pie dish from the refrigerator, and with a spatula smear the chocolate chip ice cream on top of the crust. Remove the strawberry mixture from the refrigerator and top off the ice cream, with the strawberries & it's juice. Serve immediately on a hot day!

Elle

No comments: