20 June 2012

Tzatziki aka Yogurt Cucumber Dill Dip


Are you like me? Despite having this avenue for recipe creation & such, there are ingredients I long to use. They look intriguing. They smell divine. But when I see them, instead of a wave of inspiration taking me over...a wall builds. And the depths of the earth is its foundation. This is my relationship with dill. Or should I say this is my lack of relationship with dill. We know nothing of one another. While I longingly look at it, in its natural farmers market habitat, it does not pay the slightest attention to me.

My dill curiosity got the better of me this past weekend. All in all thanks to David Lebovitz. I've always loved Tzatziki {but it's formal name alluded me until this past weekend. I still cannot pronounce it correctly}. But for some reason I never consciously connected "ease" or "dill" to this condiment of sorts. Well they are terribly connected, in a good fresh summer way. The best way!

Tzatziki
recipe from David Lebovitz

1 large Cucumber, sliced lengthwise and de-seeded
1 tsp Sea Salt
4 cloves Garlic, minced
2 cups Greek Yogurt {I used Fage 2%}
1/3 cup Fresh Dill* 

Mix the cucumber and sea salt together. Place in a strainer and let the cucumber drain of its natural water for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to encourage the water drainage. 

With a towel pat dry the cucumbers of their remaining water. Add the cucumbers to a large bowl, along with the garlic, yogurt and dill. Mix the ingredients of the bowl throughly. Serve. Put on everything. Enjoy.

Elle


*David Lebovitz's recipe suggests 1/3 cup total of fresh dill & mint. I opted out of the mint. 


No comments: