10 July 2012

Cold Cucumber Soup




I'm trying to increase my cooking repertoire, especially now that it's summer. I commonly find my self suggesting heavy, cooking intensive meals for dinner despite this glorious season. Finally, I realized that I have no base summer meals for dinner. Do you find yourselves offering up suggestions for winter food during the summer? My summer dinner conundrum may have something to do with the fact that it is cold here, about 7 months out of the year.

In my quest for fresh, easy, light summer dinner, here at Casa Walczak we are exploring cold soups. Of all the things to try this is probably the least logical given that I cannot stand Gazpacho (although Hubby assures me, his will be more to my liking. I'll give it another whirl), for the main reason that it is cold. Nonetheless, I thought with different vegetables I might hit on a real pallet pleaser. Since I LOVE cucumber, this soup from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook (fast growing to be my faVorite cookbook) seemed like a no-brainer cold soup first try. And I actually liked it.

Cold Cucumber Soup
inspired from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook*

7-8 chub Cucumbers, peeled and seeded
4 tbsp fresh Lemon Juice
2 cups Organic Free Range Chicken Stock, or Homemade Chicken Stock
2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
4 tbsp fresh Chives (chopped)
Salt & Pepper

In a blender or food processor add the stock, cream, lemon juice, chives, and cucumber in that order. Puree until just blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.  Serve. Enjoy. 

Elle

* First I doubled most of the ingredients of the original recipe, and have also modified others...such as the type of cucumbers, stock, and cream.

No comments: