17 July 2012

Tomato Feta Almond & Mint Crostini





I was so terribly hungry last Saturday, I was wandering around the grocery store aimlessly. I imagine if I stayed any longer the manager may have called the police to report a probable rotisserie chicken thief. Suffice it to say, don't go to the grocery store so hungry you could eat a small mammal if offered to you. I had a need to fill my over whelming hunger. But I also wanted something cold as it was 1200 degrees in the shade. Plus, it was Bastille Day, & having a French first name I believed it imperative I celebrate me & France's connection. All of this was a tall order. I finally settled upon the below combination of ingredients without the mint. That was Hubby's idea. He took a good tasting mix of food & made it great tasting, just because he decided to eat the pretty garnishment siting on his plate. That's a guy for you. It's funny how the accidents make the discovery, like with penicillin. Did I just compare my food to penicillin in terms of monumental discovery & taste? No! Bad idea. This dish is nothing like penicillin.




Tomato Feta Almond & Mint Crostini


1 French Baguette, sliced in rounds
1 pint Cherry Tomatoes, quartered
1/4 Lbs Bulgarian Feta*
15 oz Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans
1/2 cup Slivered Almonds
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
Fresh Mint


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the baguette rounds on a baking sheet, and brush each round with olive oil. Bake until crisp and golden in color, about 10-15 minutes (cooking times will vary with ovens). When done cooking, let the rounds cool at room temperature for about 10 minutes. 

In a large bowl add the tomatoes, feta, chickpeas, and slivered almonds. Add the salt and pepper to taste. Mix throughly. 

Add the tomato mixture, in heaping portions, on each of the baguette rounds (now your crostini). Sprinkle the rounds with small torn pieces of mint to your taste. Serve. Sit down. Eat. Enjoy!


*Get a high end feta cheese for this recipe as oppose to the cheap general grocery store feta cheese. I used Bulgarian feta because it is very creamy and has a kick of a taste to it. But any high end feta cheese will add more dimension to the dish. 

Elle




No comments: