09 October 2012

Basil Crostini



I love a bread. There I've said it! Hail damage & all (I first learned the phrase "hail damage" from a woman at the gym when she was describing her cellulite. I just about fell off the bench laughing. Since then I have adopted the phrase as my own...unfortunately...only because of the truth of its underlying usage).

It's not cool to like bread. And I never said I was "cool" (okay when I was in college I unabashedly would say: "I'm cool." Was not hurting for self-esteem).

It's like a dirty secret here in America, liking bread. But I hate secrets.

If I could have bread at every meal I would. Well, come to think about it...I suppose I could.

Note to self: Check into having (good) bread at every meal.

Basil Crostini is a little side nibble for soups & salads for me and Hubby. It just so happened that we had this scrumptious serving with Creamy Mussels from the Martha Stewart site for our Sunday supper (Hubby hates the word "supper." It's down home & folksy. To me it conjures up that wonderful non-folksy blog Sunday Suppers that I love). What I love about great bread, is making it even greater with fresh ingredients on top. This recipe is a snap.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut one baguette into diagonal slices. When finished lay out the slices on a baking sheet. Brush or sprinkle each slice with olive oil. Sprinkle on each slice dried basil (I used fresh basil from our garden and let the leaves dry for about two days). Place the slices in the oven. Bake for about 10-15 minutes until the bread is crispy and the crust golden (cooking times will vary with ovens). Remove from heat. Serve with your best main dish. Preferably one where you can slop up the sauce with the bread!

No comments: