23 October 2012

Challah French Toast with Rum




I've been in a Martha mood. Stewart that is. In fact, my next three recipes will  be from her Martha's Entertaining: A Year of Celebrations. I warn you that I may add, subtract, and modify the measurements of the ingredients. So if you want any the the recipes in original Martha form, I suggest the book.

On Sunday's I'm trying to make them more culinarily (that is a word the dictionary is sure of it) more special then the rest of the week. Sunday is the calm day. It's the final rest up, enjoyment, before the week ahead. It deserves the acknowledgement. You already know that we are doing Sunday Suppers here. Now I want to add special to the Sunday breakfast mix. My rules are simple. It must take time. It does not have to be an original dish. But it must be one that requires nice ingredients. Take out. Restaurants. Not allowed. Except on the most (I'm sooo tired from last night) Sundays. I started off with a Martha twist on an old recipe. I subtracted a few things from the ingredients & added one (because it was already in the house). You can't go nuts on this dish. It's too sweet, but good. I think, at least  here, it deserves an encore.




Challah French Toast with Rum
Inspired by Martha Stewart
serves 3

2 large Organic Brown Eggs, beaten
1/2 cup Buttermilk
1 tablespoon Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon, (and extra for dusting)
1/4 cup Dark Rum
6 slices Challah Bread
2-5 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
Pure Maple Syrup

In a shallow bowl add the eggs, buttermilk, sugar, cinnamon, and rum. 

Heat butter (about 1/1-2 to 2 tablespoons at a time) over a skillet on medium to medium low heat. 

Dip the bread into the egg mixture. Cook bread on both sides for about 2-3 minutes (cooking times will vary with stoves) until each side is golden brown. Add more butter as needed until you have completed cooking all the slices. 

Place slices on a plate. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon. Add syrup in desired amounts. Dig in!

Elle




No comments: