05 November 2012

Extra Chewy Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies




I know better than to bake things I have no earthly shut off valve for, & then fail to give them away to someone who does. But that was not my intention. In fact, I had planned to give these cookies away. You see, for years I have made a good chocolate chip cookie. But my ultimate cookie has always eluded me. I have tinkered with numerous recipes only to fall short of my own perfectionist tendencies. Earlier last week I stumbled upon a recipe. The authoress swore her cookies were the chewiest. Again, my only intention was to make the recipe as was, with the minor exclusion of the cornstarch it called for. But low and behold, I realized I did not have any eggs. So then I was going to go to my substitute vegan stand by, organic apple sauce. Only, the smell was...not so friendly. And to be quite honest, my laziness precluded me from slipping on the wellies & hitting the grocery store. So I began to tinker with the recipe.

The dough was crumby. Not a good sign. But it still tasted good. A very good sign. When rolled together the dough stuck. The best sign. There was hope yet. I went forward as planned. The finish result was beyond my wildest hope. Finally, I had made a cookie that was thick & chewy, just how I liked them. Hubby had four at one sitting. I had four today. Blast the great chewy cookies! I'll have to eat them all to get them out of the house.


Extra Chewy Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies
makes 2 dozen
inspired by Apple a Day

Equipment

Hand Mixer or Kitchen Aid Mixer with Paddle Attachment
Parchment Paper
Cookie Sheets

Ingredients

3/4 cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons Heavy Whipping Cream
1 1/2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt
1 cup Dark Chocolate Chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 

In a bowl, cream together (I used a hand mixer) the butter and sugars until the mixture is light brown in color. Add the cream and vanilla and mix well.

Now add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix well again. Stir in the chocolate chips with a spatula. 

At this point your dough will be crumbly, do not worry! 

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. 

With your hand, take the dough and form a ball approximately 1 inch in diameter. Place the ball on the cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Continue forming balls until there is no longer dough to use. With the palm of your hand, gently flatten the top of each ball. 

Place the cookie sheet in the oven. Cook the cookies NO LONGER than 10-13 minutes. The cookies should be barely brown at the bottom. The tops of the cookies will not be brown at all. That is okay. 

Remove the cookies from the oven, and cookie sheet. Let cool completely. Enjoy! I know you will.

Elle

No comments: