28 January 2013

Homemade Peanut Butter


I was recently reading a cupcake recipe that called for walnuts. The instructions stated to make sure not to pulse the walnuts too long in the food processor because the nuts inherent oils would begin to come out & would make the mixture butter like & pasty. Then I thought to myself. "No?! Is this recipe telling me that I can simply food processor my way to walnut butter? Which means I can make peanut butter & almond butter...without any other ingredients?" Now I'm sure that I could have had this question answered decades ago from my grandma, or yours for that matter. But I'm not going to beat myself up.

I am so over the moon that I figured this out (and you should be too). No more getting that sugary peanut butter, or organic peanut butter that is like $10.00 a jar. You can make it at home! Good, clean peanut butter. I like my peanut butter creamy...so I have to admit mine looks a tad bit like hummus. But it taste like creamy peanut butter. What is great about making it at home, is you can make the peanut butter to your desired consistency. If you try this recipe, I swear your kids, husband/wife or girlfriend/boyfriend will love you! Me too!

I added the cute little label to my jar of peanut butter from this Martha Stewart template you can get here!


Homemade Peanut Butter
makes 1 pound

Equipment:
Food Processor
Enthusiasm

Ingredients:
1 Lbs pre-packaged Peanuts (I used Whole Foods 365 brand Roasted & Salted Peanuts)
Salt (optional...I did not add any to my batch)
Granulated Sugar (optional...I did not add any to my batch)

Directions:

Add the peanuts to the food processor. Pulse consistently for at least five minutes. The first few minutes the peanuts will simply appear grounded. Keep pulsing until the peanuts become thick like dough & pasty (this happens at about the 5-6 minute mark), using a silicone spatula to scrape the peanut butter from the sides of the processor when necessary. At this point continue to pulse the peanuts to your desired consistency. More crunchy peanut butter would be pulsed for a lesser amount of time than creamy peanut butter.

If you are adding salt or sugar, scrape out the peanut butter from the food processor into a bowl with a silicone spatula. I would recommend adding the salt & sugar in your desired amounts by hand. Then mix the ingredients together thoroughly with the spatula. Transfer the ingredients into a glass jar with your spatula. Cover with lid to preserve.

If you are not adding salt or sugar, simply scrape out the peanut butter from the food processor into a a glass jar with a silicone spatula. Cover with lid to preserve.

FYI: I'm keeping our peanut butter in the refrigerator for preservation purposes since it does not contain a preservative agent.

Don't forget to serve this with celery!!

Enjoy!

Elle

No comments: