21 February 2013

Shrimp Tikka Masala {or a Really Good Indian Dish with Shrimp}


 I love Indian food. Locally, I have my two favorite Indian restaurants that I frequent often. There are not that many types of food that I think I could eat almost daily, but Indian food is one of them (the others are Japanese & French food}. Here is the problem with the cuisines I love.  I'm not well versed in cooking them! At this point I could not go off the cuff & invent an Indian dish. Nor do I have the knowledge to add & subtract ingredients like many other dishes I make. So I have to rely on recipes. This recipe is from my Martha Stewart Living 2010 archives {I have some dating back to 1998}. This dish is de-li-cious! Plus, it is so easy! Hubby & I were saying, once you have this recipe in your grey cell repertoire, it's a snap to make. We paired it, as suggested, with Toasted Coconut Rice!


Shrimp Tikka Masala {or a Really Good Indian Dish with Shrimp}
a Martha Stewart Recipe

2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 large Onion, sliced thin
3 tbsp fresh Ginger, grated and peeled
1 tbsp Garlic, chopped well
2 tsp Tomato Paste
2 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 tsp Chili Powder
1 cup Water
20 large Shrimp {about 1 lbs}, peeled, deveined, with tails off
1/4 Fage Yogurt

Heat oil in a medium sized stock pot, over medium heat. Cook onions until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, tomato paste, garam masala, and chili powder to pot. Cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes.

Add water and shrimp to pot. Cook until the shrimp are opaque and cooked through, about 4 minutes. Remove dish from heat. Stir in the yogurt. Accompany dish with Toasted Coconut Rice. Eat. Then plan when to make dish again!

Elle

No comments: