18 February 2013

Toasted Coconut Rice


Did you know that an appropriate serving of rice is 1/2 cup cooked? I don't think that my rice gene is buying that. It's not that I eat rice that often. So I wonder if I store up all the possible times that I could eat rice...say 3 times per week, then I can eat that much rice in one sitting. Wait. That's only a 1 1/2 cups. Still not buying it, they should sell that somewhere else, especially this rice. I LOVE coconut. So this recipe from the domestic goddess (no, not Nigella...the other one, Martha) was right up my ally. Of course per Hubby's request I made more rice then the recipe called for, & made a very minuscule change...but other then that! This is good, really good. It's a nice way to sweeten up Basmati. Next time you eat good rice like this & someone says 1/2 a cup is a normal portion size. You respond by saying, "Not this rice sister/brother, go sell that rhetoric somewhere else!"


Toasted Coconut Rice
a Martha Stewart Recipe (with some measurement variations)

1 tbsp Olive Oil
3/4 Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
2 cups Basmati Rice
4 cups water
2 Scallions, thinly sliced
Salt

In a wok, heat oil over medium heat. Add coconut, stirring continuously and toast for approximately 6 minutes until golden brown.

Set aside 3 tablespoons of the toasted coconut. Stir in rice with the remaining coconut in the wok. Add water, and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat and simmer covered until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.

Garnish each serving of rice with the toasted coconut you set aside, and scallions. Add salt to taste. Serve joyously!

Elle

No comments: