07 March 2013

Strawberry, Pineapple and Banana Smoothie with Flax



The other day I was streaming Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead on Netflix. If you don't know what it is, it's about an Australian, Joe, who is in his 40s, fat, & has an autoimmune disease. In the hope of kick starting his weight loss & curing himself of his disease, he goes on a 60 day juice fast. Sounds extreme & flat. But it's a really good documentary! Based on the movie I got the idea of drinking at least one pure vegetable juice a day (we have a super juicer here at the house). Well I have to admit. When I got to the grocery I have to admit, I had a total breakdown. I had no recipe to work from. Putting together kale, celery & God knows what, sounded awful (but I have not given up...I've wrangled some hearty juice recipes). So instead I opted for what I knew. Smoothies. I may not be cleaning out my system with raw vegetable juice. But a good homemade smoothie still gives me the vitamins that I need & antioxidants  I think you'll like this. When I have a vegetable juice recipe to drool over, you'll be the first to know!


Ingredients: 15 frozen whole Strawberries; 15 frozen Pineapple chunks; 1 Banana; 1 cup Water; 1/2 cup Fage Yogurt; Ice; and 1 tsp Flaxseed (optional).
Directions: Add all the ingredients in the blender (you'll want to put in the water, yogurt and a few ice cubes first). Pulse until smooth (if you need more liquid add more water 1/4 cup at a time). Spoon into a glass. Get a straw, and enjoy.

No comments: