24 April 2013

Craving Oven "Fried" Chicken



I really wanted some chicken the other day. I mean really wanted it. I wanted fried chicken. Fried in lots of oil with flour coating...southern style.

The craving was weird since it's spring. I don't associate fried chicken with spring. But it was also snowing out at the time, so weird was in the air.

I had a serious choice to make. Real southern fried chicken in a vat of oil. Or baked "fried" chicken. It was hard. I knew I couldn't be fooled in believing they were the same. Fried is always better. But my only criteria was that whatever I choose it had to be good.

I choose baked. Despite the snow on the ground I had to remember it was spring. The next season is summer. That's when pools open. That's when I have to put on a swim suit. That's when the internal mental drama starts. I wanted to save some drama. And some desperate conversations with consoling girlfriends.


Henri & Finni wanted fried chicken too. The stayed in this position during the prep, through the cooking, & through the eating. The don't have to put on swimsuits in the summer. Even if they did, they would look cute. Finni more cute. Henri, admittedly, a little weird with an inkling of cute. Therefore, they would eat anything that was offered. Fried. Baked. Sauteed in grass.


Oven "Fried" Chicken
inspired by Martha Stewart recipe

2-3 cups buttermilk
6 Skinless Organic Chicken Breast
1 container Bread Crumbs

In a large bowl or pan add the chicken, cover all the pieces with the buttermilk. Let the chicken marinade in the buttermilk for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Spread out some bread crumbs on a large dish or pan-enough to coat all the pieces of chicken {add more bread crumbs as needed). Working with one piece at a time, remove the chicken from the buttermilk, letting any excess milk drip back into the bowl, and dredge the chicken into the bread crumbs, turning to evenly coat.

Placed the coated chicken on a wire rack in the oven. Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes, cooking times will vary with ovens. Remove when the chicken is golden on the outside, and cooked to your specifications in the inside. Eat and Enjoy!

No comments: