07 April 2013

Design-it-Yourself {DIY} Life: a Family Manifesto


This past weekend I've gone on a manifesto tangent of sorts. I know what you're thinking, "Didn't the unabomber write manifestos?" Yes. But he gave manifestos a bad name! See what manifestos do is force you to think about what you believe. They also remind you of where you're going & what you're all about. This blog for instance now has a manifesto. I love it!!! Now our family has one too. I've been wanting to do this for a long-time. I first got the idea from 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families {I don't think Stephen Covey called it a manifesto, but it was prominent statement in your home of who your family is & what it believes}. But being somewhat "ineffective" at the time, we never did one. But I never forgot about it. Now that we have it, I'm the happier for it. I'm really excited! So here are the reasons why I {& maybe Mr. Covey would agree} believe you should create a manifesto for your family. But first, 

The How:
  1. Sit down with your family & brain storm all the things you believe about your family, what you want your family to be guided by, & what you believe individually.
  2. Make #1 inspiring.
  3. Edit down to the core fundamentals, enough so, that you can fit the manifesto on one sheet of paper.
  4. Get a sheet of paper or fancy stationary & print out your family manifesto. You can put it anywhere, frame it or whatever. Just make sure you put it in a place where everyone can see it often.
The Why:
  1. Manifestos remind you of what you believe deep down.
  2. It can be a guide {even when you want to do anything but act like what your manifesto says}.
  3. It's your own familial visual inspiration.
  4. Everyone who walks through your home will know what your family is about.
  5. It will help you to appreciate what you've got!

You can read our family's manifesto by clicking on the image. I'm telling you, this is a really good thing {as Martha Stewart would say}. 

What do you think you would put on your family's manifesto? If you create one, don't forget to share it with me. I'd love to read it!


No comments: