23 May 2013

Life as I Know It: How I Got Booed by My Ballet Teacher in Class, Part 3


Welcome the last installment of my ballet boo. If you've missed the first two installments, I suggest you start here, and then go there.

The ballet barre exercise stopped. But the boo was lingering in the air in the studio. Katie & I turned to each other at the same time. We both had a huge grins on our faces. We faced toward towards the center of the room once again.  As Marsh started to explain the next exercise I shouted out...

"Katie told me to do my pirouettes on my front leg!" I said as I looked at Marsha & around at everyone in class who was looking at me with smiles on their faces. But I was not deterred...not in the least. I was going to throw Katie under this bus with me, so help me God!

"I asked her before the exercise and she told me the opposite leg I was intending to pirouette on." Spoken like a true 5 year old in a 39 year old's body. But you know what I like about 5 year olds. They don't give up. They attempt to defend themselves, even if it sounds like snitching. Darn it, my 5 year old self wanted to do the defending.

With a heart warming smile and a laugh of amusement Marsha replied, "You don't ask Katie, you ask me."

I looked at Katie and she looked at me, & we both started laughing with the rest of the class.

Touche Marsha. Touche!

Let me tell you something, I have not pirouetted on the wrong leg since. In fact, two days later when I was in Marsha's class again and we repeated the exercise and I did it correctly,  from behind I heard a loud boisterous, "Yes, Danielle!" from Marsha. It made me smile at the barre.

So what's the moral of the story here? I guess it would be...


  • Don't ask beginner Katie about how to do something.
  • Trust your subsequent study if your instincts failed you before. 
  • Ask the teacher, they're the professional. 
  • It takes some boos to become better. 
  • Don't give up, get right back in there. 
  • Defend yourself, even if you sound like a toddler because people will be less inclined to think they can just boo you without repercussion. 
  • Try not to take it personally. Marsha knows my commitment and love of ballet. She was booing my technique not me. You have to separate what you do, from who you know you are. I have rarely met anyone who is boo-able as a person. Maybe their actions, but not their person. 


No comments: