04 June 2013

Chili con Carne




You might think this is a fall/winter dish. But I was just three hours north of here & this dish was perfect for today. Summer is weird. Soon we'll not only be craving & eating chili in the summer, but we'll be growing strawberries & papaya in winter. Its global warming. Or depending on your political proclivities, climate change. No. No. No. This was not an opening for a political debate...unless it involves the appropriateness of chili in summer while wearing Hawaiian shirts & flip flops.


This recipe is from one of my many pre-1965 cook books. I smells incredible while cooking which naturally means it's incredible while eating. Don't thank me, thank Betty Crocker. This is the second post in the past five I've mentioned you thanking me. I'm thinking I may not be getting enough appreciation at home. Therefore it is only normal to seek affirmation from people I've never laid eyes on, but yet feel so close to. Maybe that is what "Blog" stands for!!

Chili Con Carne
from the Betty Crocker's Good and Easy Cookbook

1 lbs ground beef
1 large onion, sliced
1 can (3 1/2 cups) tomatoes
1 to 2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 to 1 tsp salt
1 can (15 1/2 oz) kidney beans

Brown the ground beef, crumble with a fork. Add rest of the ingredients. Simmer for 1 hour. Serve.

Don't you love the old cook books. No frills. "Put everything together. Cook it. Eat it!" Life really was simpler then.


No comments: