10 June 2013

Stir-n-Roll Biscuits


Some people are really really good at baking breads. Our neighbor made a no-kneed wheat olive loaf that was just fantastic when Hubby & I went over for cocktails & dinner. My mother's friend since grade school makes dinner rolls that make you want to scream with delight & butter once they hit your mouth. I have twice attempted to make bread {sans breadmaker} only for the loaves to be better used as stones for skipping over a lake, presuming that you could break the big loaf to make pebbles. So I need something yeast free. Yeast is my nemesis!

As you know, my go to is some 1950s cookbook of late & this is where I found this recipe. I admit, I did not make my dough thick enough when I cut out my biscuit rounds. So trust me, they can be made to be thicker. But taste in my estimation is all that really matters...& ease when it comes to making a bread.


Stir-n-Roll Biscuits
from Betty Crocker's New Picture Cookbook
makes 16 biscuits

2 cups all purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup milk (always bake with whole milk)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl.

Pour the oil and milk into a measuring cup. Do not stir together. Pour the contents all at once into the flour. Stir with a fork until the mixture cleans sides of the bowl and forms a ball.

To kneed: turn the dough unto wax paper; lift paper by one corner and fold dough in half; press down firmly; pull paper back. Repeat until dough looks smooth.

Pat or roll the dough to 1/2 inch thick (or 1/4 inch thick for Southern biscuits) between 2 sheets of waxed paper.

Cut with unfloured biscuit cutter. Place the rounds on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes (cooking times will vary with ovens) or until golden brown. Serve hot with butter and/or jelly, preserves, honey.



No comments: