24 June 2013

Taco Salad: The "Healthier Way"


Hubby has a lot of opinions about Taco Salad. The traditional Taco Salad. He has stated to me his observation that it's primarily women who love taco salad. He has stated that on numerous occasions at his prior office on Taco Tuesday, that it was 99.9% women who were in line for the taco salad. And he made the assumption that most of those women deceived themselves by getting an accompanying diet coke to go with their not so healthy salad. Despite these snarkey observations I had no problem agreeing that most women are the taco salad consumers. I formally being an enthusiastic one.

I never deluded myself into believing when I ate the inner contents of that rather large flowered shaped shell, then the shell itself, that I thought I was ingesting a low calorie item. It was not until my self-imposed naivete was shattered with the knowledge that a taco salad shell had 14,931 calories and 67 grams of fat, that I became a former taco salad eater. But what to do with my taco salad lusts? I suffered until the burrito bowl at Chipotle. But it has never been the same. All in all, it will never be the same without that crispy shell. But it can be good. And the taco salad can actually have some greens in it. Go figure. So here is our home version of the taco salad. Although, we get a tad bit more excited about the chips then indicated on the picture!


Taco Salad

1 head Butterhead Lettuce
1/2 lbs Organic Beef
15 oz Black Beans, washed and drained
3 green Onion, chopped
Pepper Jack Cheese, shredded or sliced
1 jar Salsa (optional)
Guacamole (optional)
1 bag Organic Corn Chips (optional)

Tear and rinse the lettuce. Place in a bowl along with the green onion..

In a saute pan over medium high heat, add the beef and beans. Brown the beef to your desired level. When done remove the pan from the heat. 

Place the contents of the bowl on a plate(s). Add the beef mixture on top. Sprinkle the top with pepper jack cheese. Garnish the plate(s) with salsa, guacamole and chips. Serve. Love the taco Salad as is. 

No comments: