07 July 2013

4th of July Weekend


On the 4th of July we woke up & Hubby asked me if I wanted to go to the parade. I had not been to a parade since I was younger than I can remember. At that time I don't particularly recall liking them, even then. So my immediate response was, "No." As I lounged there in bed with my cup of coffee I asked myself the obvious question. "What the heck else do you have planned today?" The answer was, "Nothing." I live in a city where everyone, except it seems my family, owns a cabin. I used to live in a city, NYC, where everyone owned a summer or beach house. I'm detecting a trend here-the common denominator being me. Therefore, the 4th of July clears out. The city is quite. I just assumed everyone, except of course me and my family, parents, cousins, dogs, cousins' dogs...were the only ones in town. Therefore, they were the only ones who could have possibly been at this parade Hubby spoke of.


Needless to say I was wrong. Young, very young, old, middle aged, too cool for school, legitimately cool, & the photogs were there. It was actually really fun. Sure there was some goofy things like all parades have. But this parade gave homage to World War 1 & 2 and Korean War through old tanks rolling through the street, people playing dress up with authentic rifles & cars, or the vets themselves.


Then of course we just got a smattering of vintage things because it's fun to look back. Of course the kids got clowns, puppets, balloons, & candy. While I live in a major metropolitan area, this parade felt very small town to me. I really loved it. Small town was a nice feeling, if only for an 1 1/2 hours. It was one of the highlights of the day, besides the cool fireworks display 2 blocks from our home-which came as quite a surprise. I hope you had a great 4th of July weekend too. To see more photos from the parade you can go to my photo website at daniellesheltonwalczak.tumblr.com.


No comments: