10 July 2013

Homemade Rhubarb Soda or Rhubarb Vodka with Soda


In my last post I discussed the book Edible Cocktails. I made reference to the Rhubarb simple sugar I made, inspired by the book of course. Well here it is! I'll tell you why I decided to make this & more. I don't know if it's age {it is age...but I'm trying to convince myself it's not} but I just can't bring myself to have a cocktail or a glass of wine every night. How very un-European of me. No lectures please, I used to live there so I know.  But I want something to drink other than water-or cucumber, orange or strawberry infused water. It's still water. We're a household that does not, & I repeat, does not, have soda. With all the weird ingredients, high fructose corn sugar, and 987 grams of sugar per glass, we are just not interested. Therefore, it's up to me to make a non-alcoholic refreshing drink for myself. I created this simple syrup to add with club soda. All the sugar to make the syrup doesn't even equal the amount a normal person will take in with some soda in a day. Plus, because it's a syrup it's highly concentrated. Therefore, it does not take a lot to make a big bang drink. If you're looking for a commercial soda alternative...I suggest a simple syrup like this. It taste as good as it looks. Plus, I've added some vodka to it, & it's better then pretty darn good! That recipe is below too.  : )


Homemade Rhubarb Soda
inspired by Edible Cocktails

2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
2 cups filtered water
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 bottle club soda

In a heavy bottomed pot add the water, sugar, and rhubarb, in that order. Bring to a boil and then immediately simmer over low heat until all the color is extracted from the rhubarb. Strain the contents of the pot through a cheese cloth, or double strain it through a fine mesh strainer (I did the ladder). Store in an airtight bottle. Refrigerate.

To make the soda, get a glass and fill it with ice. Add the cooled simple sugar to the bottom of the glass in your desired amount (do not put in too much. It is highly concentrated. Remember you can always add more, but you cannot take it away). Fill the remainder of the glass with club soda. Stir. Serve.

Rhubarb Vodka with Soda

Follow the recipe above. Only add the cooled simple sugar, and vodka in your desired amount to a glass. Fill the remainder of the glass with club soda. Stir. Serve.


No comments: