26 July 2013

Make Your Own Butter


I'm on a kick of sorts. Or maybe it's not new, it's just has intensified {I'll have to check my prior posts about this}. Besides me, is anyone else sick of going to the grocery store & paying a lot of money for a bad product-or paying oodles more money for a good product? I'm not talking co-ops. Co-ops are different. There not even grocery stores, they're like county clubs. It behooves you to be a member...but would you really fit in? It's a lifestyle-a co-op. One, we have not pulled the trigger on yet. But we're getting close.

 I'm also on this kick that I can pretty much make anything, & should try to. Whether the former is true or not, remains to be seen. But my plethora of new books on making cream based products, breads, picking & overall canning would led any skeptic to believe that it is all possible.

Take butter for instance. Now I was reading a blog last year & she discussed how easy it is to make butter. I thought sure, right. If you have a churn, a holly hobby hat {I don't know where that came from} & nothing but time. But as I read her directions I became convinced. So, I put it on my to-do list.

Oh the dreaded to-do lists!

Now since my need to be food self sufficient, has festered {it's like I'm trying to get off the food grid. Which is weird because I am former sorority girl. Yah KKG!}, making butter came out of my rear view mirror into the front seat. I even got Hubby excited for it after I read the very easy to follow recipe from the book The Home Creamery by Kathy Farrell-Kingsley. Ingredients are key here. The cream must be good, high in fat cream, from cows who eat grass. I can't believe I have to make sure to explain that in this day & age. Cows that eat grass. It has nothing to do you! It has everything to do with our food system. I'll stop, before my soap box is weighted down by my oration.  

My fellow foodies. Let me tell you, if you do this recipe you will not go back to store bought butter again. Or you may, but you'll complain the entire time. Making this was so worth the effort. If butter is good enough for the French and Julia Child, it's good enough for me & you!


Homemade Butter
recipe from the The Home Creamery
makes about 1 cup 

2 cups heavy cream (at 60 degrees, with a fat content of 36-40%)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Pour the cream into a jar with a lid (I used our vintage 2 pint Ball Jar...you want enough room for the shaken cream to solidify and turn into butter). Screw on the lid tight. Shake the jar for 30-35 minutes {take turns with someone in your family while doing this} until the butterfat becomes sold and it separates from the liquid (forming butter milk).

Drain the buttermilk from the butter solid and keep for another use. 

Add a little cold water to the butter in the jar to rinse it. Do this by shaking the jar. Do this several times until the cold water runs clear. Drain off the remaining liquid. 

Place the rinsed butter into a bowl, and knead it with a wooden spoon for about 6-10 minutes to remove any excess liquid. If you do have excess liquid during this process, pour it off as you go. 

Mix in the salt. Keep working the butter until all the solids have been blended together and all the liquid is out. 

Keep out, or put in a butter mold or ramekin-cover with wax paper and place in the refrigerator to harden. Or you can double wrap the butter in plastic wrap and freeze up to nine months.  

No comments: